Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Yarn Along Wednesday

While browsing through the 'blogisphere' recently I came upon a weekly post on Small Things which was all about her combined love of knitting and reading. I'm not yet an accomplished enough knitter to combine these two skills (what a brilliant use of time that would be) but I am passionate about both pursuits so I've decided to try and join in.

  

Since taking up knitting 18mths ago hats have been my most successful and common projects. With the boys heads now thoroughly covered in various hues and yarns I decided it could be my turn. Nearly all my existing knitted hats are in brown tones and I find myself regularly admiring red hats on others or feeling that a red hat would perfectly finish my outfit. It would also make a great accompaniment to my recently acquired and much loved red boots. 
I wanted it  to be quick so a chunky yarn was needed. When trips to all easily accessed yarn sources nearby failed to yield a 12ply or so blue-red rather than orange-red yarn, I opted to knit two 8plys together. Here's hoping I can post a picture of the finished product soon.
The book is People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. I have been wanting to get to this one for a while and so far the story of an ancient Hebrew book and its history as uncovered by the Australian woman commissioned to restore it is compelling. As with Geraldine's other books this is extremely well researched and we are carried along by the gripping tale which crosses several continents and centuries. Its a great reminder to me that its always worth latching on to a new book by a previously loved author. If you have never experienced this author try Year of Wonders and March too, both are brilliant.

1 comment:

  1. That hat is looking lovely so far. I haven't read anything by Geraldine Brooks - I will need to check her out.

    ReplyDelete