Friday, February 24, 2012

Love Me Do


Once upon a time, a full seventeen years ago when Mr Pickle and I first met, he or I declared that Valentine's Day was such a farce and we thought that every other day of the year was a better day to express your love than on one contrived, everyone else is doing it day.


Fast forward all these years and somehow in the lead up to Valentine's day Big Pickle heard about the occasion and wanted to know what it was all about. When I told him it's a day when people tell the people they care about how much they love them he declared "we should do that for  Daddy cause we really love him!!"
So, inspired by one of the very many generous patterns found here I started a secret knitting project. In parks, at playgroup and right under his nose on the couch at night (he didn't ask once what I was doing) and each day Big Pickle would ask "how many do we have now mummy?"
Meanwhile on every outing we searched for and collected good sticks and branches for our 'tree' and Mr Pickle repeatedly asked "what's with the vase of sticks?" and "I think this wood collecting thing of yours is getting a bit out of hand" (I do have a bit of a fetish for collecting logs, tree stumps, mossy twigs, interesting branches and basically any bit of wood that takes my fancy and carting them hoe for future 'projects'!)


 On Valentine's Day afternoon we adorned the tree and it was there to welcome Mr Pickle when he got home that night. In a hilarious coincidence he had for some, totally unprecedented, reason decided to buy a 'beautiful' chocolate rose on his way home. The boys thought it all marvellous and in the end we both decided maybe St Valentine had the right idea after all.
To see the latest creative project from Linda and more of her other wonderful patterns head over to Creative Friday.
I'm turning my eye to her wonderful autumn leaf patterns right now in the hopes I can be ready to redecorate the tree before the season changes.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is really sweet that the prompt for this wasn't just romantic love but family love that is real and grows with each year that passes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post:) I also want to let you know that you have won my swan pattern, congratulations! If you could email me at lindadawkins@mweb.co.za I will email the pattern off to you.
    Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for linking to my blog.
    Warm regards
    Linda

    ReplyDelete